Thursday, May 19, 2016

Patriotic Finish...

Last Friday my stitching bud Jackie and I made a trip to our LNS--Stitchville and I picked up Blackbird Designs book Sweet Land of Liberty.

I couldn't wait to start this project:


 This design is called Sweet Land of Liberty.  I stitched it on
32 count Clay with DMC Threads.
Started 5-15-2016
Finished 5-18-2016
I did tweak this a bit.  I should have cut the mounting board a bit larger so that it
would have maybe covered the top of the candlestick more.  So my modification was a twisted
cord to put around the edge.  
 Another view.  Thanks to my hubby for spray painting the candlestick.
I love how it turned out.  
One thing I would like to mention is that the design is bigger than the top of
this candlestick, which I guessed surprised me.  So a bit of the design is under
the edge of the mounting board.  Which worked out fine, I just thought in my little head
more of the design would show.

My grandson Silas wanted a checkerboard that he could fold up for traveling, so 
a quick trip to JoAnn's grandma found some checkerboard fleece.
Then I cut out some felt circles.  
Traveling checkerboard!!!
Needless to say I am a hero in his eyes:)

Now a quick plug for Olfa cutters.  I bought this cutter awhile ago to cut circles.
Let me tell you it worked great for the felt circles I needed for the checkerboard
and for the circle I needed for my candlestick project which was cut out of
mat board.  I would highly recommend this handy tool.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

What a cute finish on the candlestick, it looks great.
Great idea for a traveling checkerboard.
Thanks for sharing info on the Olfa cutter, it looks interesting.
Marilyn

Vickie said...

Sweet Land of Liberty is really unique!

Robin in Virginia said...

What a sweet stitched piece you created! Way to go on creating the travel checkerboard game for your grandson. Enjoy your weekend!