Monday, May 26, 2008

Fabric to Dye for....

Today Jill and I decided to try our hand at dying
some fabric. Here are the results:

The fabric to the left was done with two different
dyes. We tried the same colors Vonna used which
were tan and cocoa brown. We soaked the fabric in
the tan for one minute and then we twisted and
dunked. I really liked the outcome. Then we did just
purple, which was left in the water for 30 seconds.
Then final combination was tan and golden yellow
together. The darker yellow fabric was left in the
water for 3 minutes, lighter one was left in water
for one minute.

Now was also dyed at least 4 pieces of fabric per dye
batch. So the first fabric in, does not need as much
time as subsequent fabrics.

Our mixture of dye was 2 quarts of water - to 1/4
teaspoon of dye for one color dying. For two colors
it was 2 quarts of water - to 1/8 teaspoon of each color
of dye. We used the stove top method. Bringing the
water to a slow simmer and keeping it at a simmer
throughout the dying process.

Not to bad for the first time around. Not to hard to do
once you get the hang of it. I will be doing more dying
for sure. Just need to invest in alot of white linen!!!!

We dyed fabric counts from 25 to 36.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

They look beautiful. What dye did you use? Thanks for the additional info on how long and amount of fabric. Im dying to try this myself.

Annie said...

Those are gorgeous colors. Have fun stitching on them!

staci said...

Great fabrics...I haven't tried the simmering method, I just use the bucket technique.

stitchhappy said...

Beautiful! I love that purple!!

Carol R said...

You dyed just beautifully! Such pretty colours.

Lee said...

I just popped in from a link on the Brides Tree SAL page. You've got some great posts here! Love the dyed fabric and all of your exchanges. Wonderful!

Lee said...

Just saw your tin on the MFC page. You are so speedy!

Nicely done, too.

Sonda in OR said...

I'm loving all the hand-dyed fabrics that people have done! Yours look lovely. That may be a summer project for me!!